http://rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping Slave to Mr. Stinny (The One and Only Blind Super-Cat): Dancing Fool or is it a Fool Dancing?

Monday, December 04, 2006

Dancing Fool or is it a Fool Dancing?

Next weekend, I have two events that involve dancing. One is formal and the other is out-on-the-town, with a group of 30-something couples. Back in the day when I was in college, perhaps a mere ten years ago, I loved to go out dancing. Usually on a Thursday night, my friends and I would head out around 10:30 to R.J.'s to drink and get our groove on. I must say that I danced fairly well and could dance for hours, with the help of Kahlua and milk, of course. And don't mock me. My drink of choice in college was K & M after a very very bad vodka experience. I get the spins just thinking about it.

In graduate school, my nights dancing dwindled. Most of the time, we headed out to a coffee bar or pub where busting a move could not be found. When I returned home and met the future Mr. Professor Husband, we danced even less...and less...and...less. Our first dance at our wedding involved me kicking my train out of the way because the bustle would not stay in place. Thereafter, I did some fine "Elaine" dance moves from Seinfeld and a smooth Mary Katherine Gallagher performance from SNL. Yes, folks, I can be classy at a four star resort.

During my next stint in graduate school, there were two opportunities to glide across the dance floor. The Graduate School Ball (read Prom). At the first one, Dr. H and I danced to big band music. Although I tend to lead and Dr. H. attempts to gracefully glide me across the floor, our dancing ain't pretty but it works for us and we enjoy ourselves. After the Big Band left, a D.J. set up his music and began playing rap. Not just your run of the mill, top 40 rap, but what sounded like to a suburban/country bumpkin girl: gangsta rap. Certainly, rap is appropriate at some venues; however, a "formal ball" does not seem to be one of them. I tried my best to dance but I could not find the beat and felt like again that I was dancing like Elaine, but not intentionally. That is when the voice in my head screamed: "YOU ARE GETTING OLD!" Furthermore, I kept thinking and might have actually said out loud: "I can't believe what kids are listening to these days."

We attended another ball my last year in graduate school. This time the D.J. played music from the 80's and 90's (i.e. songs I recognized) and I enjoyed dancing. Granted, it wasn't purdy. I'm sure I took my shoes off and had one too many drinks in my system. The great part about it was that I had fun dancing with my friends and Prof. H.

Fast forward to next weekend. The first event is a formal affair where I have been told drinks flow freely. I think that I can handle it. I have a nice outfit and I can enjoy watching others make asses out of themselves because I am at a point where I do not drink to get drunk. The second event is going out "on the town" with 30-something friends. To dance. In public. Probably at a club.

Because I am a newbie to the area, I have no idea where to go. I rather not go to a college bar because well, I am not in college. Also, I prefer someplace not too smokey. Those two prerequisites eliminate most of my options. The question is: where?

2 Comments:

At 2:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Al and I have been considering dancing lessons. We'd like to learn swing and maybe a little tango.

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger mariposa said...

Man, I feel the same way! I used to dance well, *i think*, but now i just end up copying people or doing high-kicks on the dance floor.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page
traffic
Free Web Counters
traffic