http://rpc.technorati.com/rpc/ping Slave to Mr. Stinny (The One and Only Blind Super-Cat): So Sudden

Sunday, October 29, 2006

So Sudden

Life can move too fast and change in a flash. On the way home from doing some work at the university with my husband, a light blue older pick up truck flew past us in the other lane and crashed into the jersey barrier. We could see smoke billowing out and a man having a seizure and then not moving in the passenger seat. Immediately, we stopped. So did others. I pulled my cell out of my purse and shoved it at my husband to call 911. Without thinking, I jumped out of the car and ran over to the unconscious man to see what little help I could provide. So did others. One man was brave enough and turned the car off as the smoke poured out from the engine. Thankfully, the billowing ceased. Another man tried to wake the man with no avail. Three of us jumped over the barrier and ran to the passenger side to try to revive him. Because he smoke had been surrounding him, he appeared to have difficulty breathing. Someone opened the door and another shouted not to move him. Thankfully, he was breathing, but out cold. While someone tried to take his pulse, I searched in the glove compartment with the hope of learning his name. He is Vincent. A man in his late forties to mid-fifties with a beard and glasses who layed in his car but now not alone. We could see him breathing so I took his hand and repeated his name, trying carefully to wake him. We stood there and waited for what seemed like an eternity for an ambulance to arrive. Finally, he awoke suddenly and we could see the fear in his eyes. I thought, in my usual sarcastic and perhaps moderately dark way, great, I am the first person he sees and I scare the crap out of him. I told him he was okay and help was coming. In shock or perhaps in a haze after an apparent seizure, he did not respond. We heard the sirens in the distance and a fire truck quickly arrived. I stepped away and let the firemen help Vincent. After speaking with a woman who had witnessed the entire accident, I left with my husband, safe.

Vincent, I hope you are okay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Locations of visitors to this page
traffic
Free Web Counters
traffic